Description: The D. L. James house, also known as Seaward sits on a rocky cliff above the Pacific Ocean just west of Highway 1. It is located directly across from the Highlands Inn. The entry to the house on the west side of Highway 1 is made up of a clinkered sandstone brick wall and wooden doors contained in an arched portal. The clinkered wall continues along the west side of Highway 1 where it leads to a small turnout and vista point where there is parking for about a dozen vehicles. The house can be seen through the native pines from this location. It can also be viewed from the rocks below accessible from a neighboring development to the south. The house is the most organic form of architecture ever done by the Greenes, and gives the appearance of growing out of the rugged, native rock. This only seems natural since the rock was quarried from Yankee Point, just three-fourths of a mile to the south from the site. The native rock, although of the same composition, is weathered grey in contrast to the sharper quarried rock which is more yellow and gold in tone. Soft sandstone was also utilized for detail work, which was found at the beaches of nearby Point Lobos. Other interior limestone was brought in from Carmel Valley. The chief stonemason, Fred Coleman, was selected by Charles. He lived in a small cottage that he built on the edge of the site throughout the several years it took for construction. Construction had begun in 1918 and lasted 5 years into 1923, when an impatient Mr. James hastened Charles to alter his concepts and finish things to a point where the James could begin to occupy the house. This resulted in some unfinished detail to the interior lights and plans for any furniture by Charles were dropped. Whether this strained the relationship between client and architect is not known, for no work for Mr. James was shown in billing from 1925 until 1937, when Charles was engaged to add the library to the house. See more at the Greene & Greene Virtual Archives Project Drawings.