18th Street Arts Center is seeking candidates for the new position of Outreach Director
Full-time, salaried, exempt, starting range $40,000 - $50,000 plus full Benefits
18th Street Arts Center’s mission is to provoke public dialogue through contemporary art-making. Since 1988 the Center, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, has supported thousands of individual artists and is a community that values art-making as an essential component of a vibrant, just and healthy society. Primarily offering artist residencies for artists working in all disciplines from visual art media, to music and performance, 18th Street also hosts several signature events and multiple small public gatherings featuring the artists-in-residence. Artists are selected through partnerships locally, nationally and internationally including the Pacific Rim, Eastern and Western Europe, Africa and Latin America. 18th Street is committed to artists who are risk-takers and are innovatively engaging the public through their work. For the position of Outreach Director we are seeking a motivated individual who will –
§ Communicate 18th Street Art Center’s stories and promote its programs to a wide array of art lovers, patrons, artists and partners through our website, email, social media and print materials.
§ Produce on-site public events.
§ Promote brand awareness and serve to expand the reach of 18th Street Arts Center.
The Outreach Director has 3 major roles:
- Communicate strategically to our audience and the media to further 18th Street Art Center’s mission.
- Act as “editor-in-chief" for 18th Street’s communications platforms to ensure accuracy and impact.
- Produce 18th Street’s signature events to engage our audiences.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the development of communication strategies and day-to-day maintenance of virtual platforms, including our website, e-communications and social network sites.
- Ensure that e-content is organized, written, and edited to make it meaningful to our audience.
- Manage and administer 18th Street’s image archive, keeping both the digital and physical components up to date and available for funding proposals.
- Write and disseminate 18th Street’s press releases.
- Responsible for the preparation, performance and break-down of public events, including but not limited to staging sound and projection equipment, securing performers, food vendors, and photographic documentation.
- Manage, hire and oversee interns, graphic designers, printers and event technicians as needed.
- Responsible for the management of 18th Street’s audio and visual equipment.
- Guide the production of one annual print catalog
- Work closely with the Business Manager for the development of and adherence to budgets.
- Must demonstrate sound knowledge of the contemporary art field’s concepts and practices.
- The incumbent must possess the ability to develop efficient and effective workflow processes that impact a number of other positions within the organization.
- 3+ years of managing production schedules and budgets from concept to completion.
- BA or BS, ideally with a concentration in communications, marketing, graphic design or related field.
- Successful event production track record.
- Minimum 3 years in management/leadership role working with designers, writers, contractors for web content as well as sound engineers and other technicians involved in event production.
- Minimum 3 years experience in web and social media marketing (research, budgeting, editorial schedules).
- Must display the ability to develop a rolling three-year general strategy and a rolling one-year specific strategy with associated implementation plans.
- Strategic thinker with attention to details.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable interfacing with a broad range of people.
- Ability to think visually.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver projects on time.
- Proficient in all MS Office suite programs.
- Must work well in individual and team environments.
To be seriously considered for this position please submit the following:
- A thoughtfully written cover letter indicating why you are the right person for this opportunity
- Your current resume
- A list of websites you have developed or designed
- 3 professional references
Please send your complete application via email to email@example.com
18th Street Arts Center
Santa Monica, CA USA