Since we're on the music kick, I wanted to share some of the New York musicians I've been listening to most this summer. It's a given that this list already includes Fixer and Sex Slaves who I featured previously.
1. Pink noise: Near cultish, mesmerizing lyrical repetition married to trance-induced projections.
2. Elysian fields: Front woman, Jennifer Charles, from one of my favorite projects of all time, Lovage. Noir never sounded so sultry.
3. Black Sugar Transmission: synth pop, dance rock. A melting pot of influence only Bowie could fully appreciate.
4. Acey Slade: Ex Dope, Murderdolls member now solo artist. Moody, dark crooning partnered with an aggressive guitar driven sound.
5. Dirty Pearls: Old school reminiscent, soul shaking rock n' roll.
6. Chainsaw Trio: Unexpectedly explosive, acoustic power-twang.
7. Kaki King: Mostly vocaless ethereal guitar picking and a progressive technique for such a delicate sound.
8. Chairlift: lo-fi folky, art rock.
9. The Choke: Female fronted brutally rowdy, dance-punk.
10. Holly Miranda: Beautiful whisper-like singing, ex Jealousy Girlfriends member.
* Photography by Danielle Ezzo of The Choke.